Haha, the title of this post makes me think of The Lorax… I love when he sings “How baaaaaad can I be, I’m just doing what comes naturally” I definitely had to watch that movie a few times before I loved it, but now its one of my faves!
Anywhooo… back to what this post is about. I recently ordered Joyce Myer’s book off Amazon, Making Good Habits, Breaking Bad Habits. While I’m not finished with the book, (okay, okay, I’m not even halfway through it) I am in awe. I really believe it’s the kick in the pants that I need to get my life in order.
Here are some of the habits I hope to form:
- Praying daily
- Budgeting/Becoming debt free
- Keeping a clean and organized house
- Meal planning
- Being patient
- Having a positive attitude
- Being a better mom
- Giving more
I’m sure I left quite a few things off that list, but it is a start.
Here is some I’m PRAYING I break:
- Cell phone addiction – My recent addiction on my phone is Candy Crush, but I’m guilty of constantly checking Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I also check for missed messages/calls, which is crazy because I know my phone will beep at me…
- Shopping as a form of therapy – So, so hard to break this one, but I know that it is a MUST. My life has been pretty rough over the last couple years, and instead of addressing my issues, I turn to shopping. I feel like I always need something new… even though I have clothes in my closet that still have tags on them.
- Self-Criticizing – I’m horrible at this. When I look in the mirror, rarely do I notice the positive things about myself, but do notice the things that I don’t like and wish I could change. How do I overcome this?
- Watching too much television – There are so many days that I come home and plop myself down on the couch. I record SO much trash TV, it is really ridiculous.
- Hitting the snooze button – OMG I am TERRIBLE at this. I have to leave my home very early in the morning so I can drop off my son and get to work on time. I should be leaving about 35-40 minutes before I should be at work, but I constantly push that time to 25ish minutes…
- Never finishing projects – This is one that I am really embarrassed about. I a lot of times I feel like I have really good ideas, and really want to do things (this blog), buy a house, finish school, ext, but I give up. Why is it so hard to motivate myself?
Now these are some of the things that stood out to me when I first opened her book. Crazy that I can identify with over half of the poor habits she mentions.
Joyce recommends working on one bad habit at a time. For the month of June, I am going to work on using shopping as a form of therapy. I’ve committed to myself that I am going to stay out of Target, Wal-Mart, Malls, and other places that I seem to lose control in. After June is over, I’m hoping to have formed a better habit of planning purchases, and not letting my emotions get the best of me. I’m not making promises, but I hope to update this blog along the way.
Becoming debt free is so important to me, and I know it isn’t something that will happen overnight. I am working on paying down credit cards, but I know that my shopping habits prevent me from doing a better job.
I’m working on an update blog post that should be up in the next couple days. I know that it’s been a long while since I’ve posted here, and that’s because I don’t make it a priority. Maybe that will be my goal for JULY!